Wednesday, August 26, 2009

This hobby needs an enema!!

So its been around a week since GenCon ended, and wow. I don't know if its just the power of such things as twitter or facebook, but so much information flowed and buzzed from and around GenCon this year. All companies that I have heard from are saying that sales and excitement seemed to be on the up and up. Paizo had waiting lines at one point near 2 hours for the new Pathfinder Core book, Mind Storm Labs sold completely out of both the year old Alpha Omega Corebook and the brand new Encountered creature manual, Gaming Paper was to be seen everywhere, Dark Sun was confirmed and so much more.

But let me get to the point of my bloggins' title. The thing that I noticed most from the news, videos and articles about this year's GenCon is that signs make feel that we are on the verge of seeing the hobby expand its boundaries and having much more diversity than it has had for many years. For years now the hobby has seemed to be stagnant with a few basic ideas. Now before you go all ape on me and say "But Spirit of the Century is sooo different form Dungeons and Dragons and yadda yadda..." let me splain....no there is too much...let me sum up.

I am only partially talking of the actual gameplay, the other and biggest part I am talking of is the format. Somewhere along the way game companies, and I would assume gamers, got the idea that RPGs needed to be released as a book. That's it. The game needed to have mechanics and setting and have all of it crammed in a book and besides some source books, the end. This has caused a yearning in me that keeps growing and growing.....longing for the days of yore. Where are the box sets? Remember them? The ones that came with dice, maps, forms, paper miniatures, and whole bunches of joyful love. Those sets went leaps and bounds beyond just a book in making your imagination explode, these extra bits made you feel like you were holding actual relics from the game itself. It made non-gamers look and go "Wow thats cool, what's it for?". It drug people into the hobby and, well, for me it just made things more exciting. I have been sick of the "here's your textbook for RPG #2306, now go enjoy, and find your damn bits somewhere else" mentality for a long time now.

GenCon has been a beacon of hope. The Ennies showed that the lines between big business and small press are blurring. Which means that the hobby needs a new direction to expand. 4E Dungeons and Dragons, I believe, has gotten the mentality rolling again. Its style of play lends itself well to the boxset with fiddly bits concept. I don't think it has embraced the boxset idea at all following the more MtG sale mold with its miniatures and tile packs. GenCon however showed us things like the new Warhammer Fantasy RPG 3rd edition that will be a large boxset with 4 full color books, around 40 dice and lots of fiddly bits. It started to show us glimpses of Dragon Age, an Rpg that is going to be both a Pen and Paper game and a Video Game, and the PnP version...yup thats right a boxset core. Those companies that make both Rpgs and Boardgames are starting to realize that the two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

So whats my point? Well I believe adding games like these to the hobby and industry will do much to invigorate the hobby. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the games of the past so many years are bad, on the contrary, some have been tremdously brilliant. However the hobby needs diversity, we need games that scream "check me out" in our hobby to grab people that are, or would be, attracted to that style of flash and fiddly bits and our scared away by the "textbook" looking games many of us love. These games may not be for all of us, but I am all for as many different styles of games and as many types of players as we can get. Too often we as gamers like to poo-poo on each others fun, which is a shame. Grognards or soon-to-be grogs, often decree foul play when their beloved game gets a new edition, just look at the recent 4E DnD conversations and some of the internet threads on "How dare they change my Warhammer RPG to a board game!" and its not even out yet. I feel this attitude is the wrong one. There are editions of games you already like, why would you want the same thing again? I wouldn't. If my favorite game in the world went into a new edition, I might not like it, but I am happy for the ones who do. I hope all games, even those I personally dislike not only make their players happy, but drag in new players to populate my hobby.

That being said, I am still going to complain, rant and maybe downright bitch about games occasionally in this blog, but you'll never see me complain about someone having fun with it.

0 comments: